Hosting a Private / Custom Server Guide

tweek

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Nov 29, 2013
As of update 0.5.2.0, UPnP is now enabled in the Project. This means that you don't need to port forward in order to host games. Note, this requires UPnP support in your router/gateway. If you try hosting and no one sees your game, you will most likely need to port forward.
  1. The host needs to port forward ports 2000, 2001 UDP and 2010 TCP to their computer. Visit portforward.com for more assistance.
    1. The port range is determined by the base port in the halo2configX.ini file where X is the instance number (if you open the game multiple times the number increases). The config file is usually found in %localappdata%/microsoft/halo 2 or in the Halo 2 install folder. Use Wordpad, Notepad++ etc. to open the file. Do not use Microsoft's Notepad.
    2. Port range = base port + 10
    3. Usually there is no need to change the base port, but if you're having issues hosting, trying changing it to something else, like 15000, and port forward 15000-15001 UDP and 15010 TCP
  2. Host also needs to verify that halo2.exe is allowed through all firewalls and that all inbound and outbound connects are allowed for the executable.
  3. After port forwarding, the host needs to select "Create a new game" in the ONLINE menu.
  4. Players should now be able to join the custom game.
  5. Currently, there is no way to invite or block people from joining. Once all players have joined, the host can close the lobby through the quick options menu.
Kicking Players:
  • Host only
  • Pregame lobby or In Game
Open the console using the console key (default is F10, can be configured in halo2config.ini)
Type in logPlayers and press ENTER
You will see a list of players and various numbers next to them
Note the Peer Index of the player you want to kick
Type in kick <peer_index> and press ENTER. Ex: kick 4
The player should now be kicked
Word of advice: don't kick yourself.

Update June 2022: Update ports

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018
Gamertag
NukemBoyz
Is there a way to change the game name? Or is it just going to show the Hosts name? So now can we change the game name?

Last edited:

divine1gore

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
At the time of this writing you can't change the game name if you client host (the technique described in this thread) also you don't actually need to forward that 11th port.
Forwarding TCP & UDP inbound / outbound traffic to ports in the range of 2000-2009 is sufficient at the moment, since the 2010 port is for voice communication which is currently not implemented. In a future update if it is implemented you would need to forward that extra port anyway so if you would rather not deal with that hassle just go ahead and forward all 11.
Also if you want to be sure that your port forward will work in the future. I recommend using an address reservation for the computer that you plant to host with. An address reservation insures that the internal (LAN) IP address of the computer hosting won't change. If it did change then the port forward wouldn't work since the forward would be to the prior IP, rather than the one you are connected with. UPnP may or may not work for you -- enable it and see if it is sufficient. In my case I still need to port forward; so your mileage may vary.

Apr 23, 2019
Gamertag
Lytatroan
is there a way to invite my friend to a matchmaking match?
I believe so, My way of doing it is to coordinate with your friend(s). Tell them "Hey I'm going on Action Sack." Tell your friend(s) that, and if you're lucky, both you and your friend(s) will get in.

Jan 2, 2020
Gamertag
ChillierBird
so i just have to create a lobby and my friend will see my lobby in the network tab ?
also what will be my lobby's name ?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Gamertag
soto3000
hola tengo un problema, el problema es que el juego no me permite ingresar a ningún servidor de juegos y quiero saber por qué y si eso tiene una solución

Aug 10, 2020
Gamertag
GBrothers
Hello good day, I have the ports open but the game does not work to create games, I installed the dedicated server and everything was perfect, I have open ports from 1000-1010, 2000-2010, 3000-3010 from the router to my fixed ip, too I already add outbound and inbound rules with ports in UDP and TCP but it still doesn't work. They do not see my departure and the ports do not connect with the remote ones.

Aug 10, 2020
Gamertag
GBrothers
Are they looking in the right spot? Online only, no network, no network.
yes. I used this guide yesterday to install the dedicated server. I installed it and everything was perfect. but it is seen in the port scanner that it does not work, it does not transfer data.