I can't download or play on custom maps...

Feb 9, 2019
Gamertag
Pedro Guzman
I can not play on any map even if I have downloaded it, and some maps I can not download, I see only the "You failed to load the map" error with all custom maps, how do I solve that problem?

divine1gore

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
oh also worth noting, is something that General 101 & I noticed which is that some of the maps on: http://h2v.halomaps.org/ don't work correctly with the version of Halo 2 Vista that Cartographer runs on, so be aware of that if you decide to download any customs from there, they may not all show up in the in game custom maps menu -- which you can find if you start your own multiplayer lobby, and hit the right arrow key in the maps list when setting up a custom game. Some of the maps aren't named the same thing in the in game menu as they are named as a file, and even more confusing sometimes at least on H2V.Halomaps -- they will name it something different on the webpage, something different for the filename and something different for the ingame display name for the map. Talk about confusing good grief 0_o
In specific neither Xtreme Climb map works from h2v.halomaps.org

Mar 15, 2013
That's because some of the maps still hosted on there are from the H2MT days, and are NOT compatible with the Cartographer version. When Iw as still around I tried removing them, but I was met with resistence on the matter. Something about wanting to host all the content available or something like that. May i suggest you volunteer your time to clean up the repo if it's that big of a deal?

Feb 26, 2016
USA
We have fixes for basically everything that dude mentioned. It just is only in the dev branch.
Edit: To be more specific
- maps made under 11091 now show up in the list and load fine without needing to be hex edited.
- maps using custom globals show up
- maps with an extensive amount of tags such as sounds also show up.

No reason to delete maps when they work fine as slot maps or need a specific version of Halo 2. It just means they need to be fixed in Carto. Also OPs issue with not getting custom maps is related to the map downloader. Not the maps themselves. This was also fixed in latest dev.

Last edited: