I'm learning how to forge maps on Blender!

Feb 26, 2016
USA
Order shouldn't matter. How do you know it is much larger than you would expect it to be? Are you using the Spartan model I provided for scale or some other measure. It should come out looking about the same if scale was applied.

Mar 15, 2013
That literally makes no sense. You need to post a screenshot of your map in Blender, and in Sapien. Pictures are always helpful.

Mar 15, 2013
Without pictures or the blender file, it doesnt matter what language you speak in. The issue you are describing makes no sense, and geometry or instance objects don't magically change scale once ran through tool for compiling.

Mar 15, 2013
Smoothing does not create more polygons. You are thinking of "tesselation". Smoothing is the process of blending angled polygons (like a sphere), to give it a smooth round appearance. When you have 2 or more smoothing groups defined for certain faces (polygons), sometimes where they meet, it will appear like the image you posted. As for specular maps, the only shader template that allows for specular maps are a few in the "transparent" shader templates, and one or two in "opaque", like tex_bump_tiling_specular. Keep in mind that Halo 2 doesn't really use specular maps well.

Feb 26, 2016
USA
The first question can't be answered if you don't show the geometry that displays the error in Sapien and what that area looks like in Blender.

The second is up to you. No one here uses Maya. Depending on how you're importing/exporting the file from Maya to Blender, smoothing may just be fucked and you will need to clear hard edges.

Read the tutorial that comes with the map editor for kill volumes

Read the tutorial that comes with the map editor for teleporters.
Halo 2 Map Editor.chm

Feb 26, 2016
USA
Water is two things. The water definition tag block in scenario_structure_bsp gives it some of it's properties. If you don't fill this in then water tends to be black like you said before. After that is the shader. The shader will determine if the water is opaque or transparent and what color the water is. So to be specific ocean_opaque won't be see through but the other water shaders will be.

As for you breakable glass issue are you sure you set it up properly. The shader symbol "-" should be used and the shader used on the object should be a material name that has breakable.

To be clear instance geometry is any mesh in your object list with the % prefix. It is not any mesh that you have separate from the level mesh. With that out of the way keep in mind that the scale of instance geometry can only be uniform. You can't have an instance object with a scale of 0.5 x 5 y 23 z. It has to be the same so something like 2 x 2 y 2 z is acceptable and if this could be one of the causes of why you believe it's coming out different on compile.

Halo uses sealed world rules so yes, your geometry has to be sealed if you don't want it to have errors. This is mentioned in the official Halo mapping tutorial that comes with the editor. If you want intersecting geometry then use instance geometry for those pieces but keep them and the level mesh sealed.

Apply scale and turn those pieces that are separated from the mesh into instance geo if they have collision. Something like the water doesn't need to be instance geo but should be made render only.

A lot of water in Halo is sort of a two part trick. The noise you hear when you step on water or shoot it isn't coming from the water mesh itself since that tends to have no collision. Instead the mesh under the water shader is changed to have a specific shader that has a water related material name. So you would have two dirt shaders but one sounds like dirt when you walk on it and the other sounds like water. That's how it is usually done.

Upload your blend file later if you're still having issues.

Feb 26, 2016
USA
Are you certain that you filled in the water definition tag block properly? Compare it to something like coagulation. The shader should be fine since they render fine for me on coag.

I've looked at the name of the shader you are using for the glass and is it fair for me to say you're using

tags\scenarios\shaders\human\military\glass\glass_interior.shader

If so that has a material_name of brittle_glass_for_unbreakable and with that I've managed to recreate your issue. You want to change that to something like brittle_glass for it to break properly.

If it's simple enough I just select the faces I want to separate and press CTRL+P to make them a separate object. Otherwise I use the knife tool.

Now about the file you have here, I see why you have the issue with the triangles out of BSP error. You have a cube for water but the material you assigned it has the shader symbols "?" and "!"
? Is a shader symbol that is for a two sided transparent material. That means that the mesh uses a transparent type shader and is made two sided. So lets say you have a plane that you wanted to be water. In order to make this plane render when you look at it from top or bottom you would use the shader symbol "?" along with "!" to make sure it has no collision. In short the ? Is for transparent shaders and duplicates the mesh and flips the normals. The problem here is that it is duplicated the mesh and that mesh is technically outside the BSP because of how the level is set up. This would not give you an error if it was instance geo but since it is part of the BSP mesh you can't have it set up like this. I've made some small modifications to the level you uploaded. Go ahead and examine it to see things you need. This should solve

1. The glass mesh not getting deleted after breaking - solution is to change the material name of the shader for it.
2. Objects getting displaced after compiling the level - Solution is to apply both scale and rotation to all objects in your level.
3. Triangles outside of BSP error from water mesh - Solution is to make the water mesh in a single plane and let the ? shader symbol take care of the rest.

You can read more on Blender map making here
https://pastebin.com/12Zb8Wiy
https://pastebin.com/TFCfEZCF
It covers basic level importing and instance geometry importing. They are currently only in english and haven't been updated for the latest Blender release but most of the differences are UI and hotkey related only. I'll update it for 2.8 and possibly have it translated to other languages like French in this case. Need to find someone who does both English and French for that last part tho

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016
USA
The water looks fine. It's just that the level is dark.

That shader is set to unbreakable. Change it or use a different one.

Did you relight the map on Super? Check your shader too.