Modding different weapons for AI in campaign?

Nov 26, 2017
Gamertag
aStalker23
For example, I want to mod the heretic grunts in say...The Arbiter level to all wield human SMGs but I have no idea how to proceed..... I downloaded the tool called Assembly and I openened the bipd?(is that what I need to open?) and located objects\characters\heretic_grunt\heretic_grunt I dont know what to do from there...

Am I even doing this right lol?

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
For modifying the weapons AI use you'll have to go into .scnr and search "squads".
Once in squads you'll have to find a squad that spawns the Heretic Grunts, you'll know you've found a Heretic Grunt squad when you've found a character index of 5.
Once you've found the desired character/squad you just edit the primary weapon index value, in the example in this post the weapon value is currently 1 which is Needler, changing it to 0 will make it Plasma Rifle.
If you want to give each Grunt/Character a different weapon within the squad you can change the primary weapon index in starting locations, if the value is -1 it means the data is being used from the squads area ie: -1 = Plasma Pistol (in this scenario).

There isn't a SMG in the game files of 04_gasgiant, so unfortunately you cannot give the Grunts SMGs.

Hope this tutorial helps, good luck!

Here's a download link to a text document with all the character and weapon index values for 04_gasgiant: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lm65hzg1dh7mfpt/04a_gasgiant.txt
Here's some pictures to guide you:

Attachments

Nov 26, 2017
Gamertag
aStalker23
For modifying the weapons AI use you'll have to go into .scnr and search "squads".
Once in squads you'll have to find a squad that spawns the Heretic Grunts, you'll know you've found a Heretic Grunt squad when you've found a character index of 5.
Once you've found the desired character/squad you just edit the primary weapon index value, in the example in this post the weapon value is currently 1 which is Needler, changing it to 0 will make it Plasma Rifle.
If you want to give each Grunt/Character a different weapon within the squad you can change the primary weapon index in starting locations, if the value is -1 it means the data is being used from the squads area ie: -1 = Plasma Pistol (in this scenario).

There isn't a SMG in the game files of 04_gasgiant, so unfortunately you cannot give the Grunts SMGs.

Hope this tutorial helps, good luck!

Here's a download link to a text document with all the character and weapon index values for 04_gasgiant: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lm65hzg1dh7mfpt/04a_gasgiant.txt
Here's some pictures to guide you:
Thank you for the swift reply. I actually figured it out haha(partially by reading some of your posts yesterday, you seem to be quite a knowledgeable person when it comes to H2v modding)

Ok I do have another question...is it possible to say replace some of the say...grunts or sentinels with flood in 04_gasgiant? that spawn? How would I see the characters? Where do I find that order of characters?

Like is that even possible or would that mean that flood would spawn "in the air" ...like how the sentinels do?

Also..what does the "Major Upgrade" mean? Does it mean that the NPC's get upgraded in rank if I select the "all" key?

And is it possible to mod where marines can wield brute shots?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
"Ok I do have another question...is it possible to say replace some of the say...grunts or sentinels with flood in 04_gasgiant? that spawn? How would I see the characters? Where do I find that order of characters?"

04_gasgiant doesn't contain any flood characters in the game file, you would be able to achieve this in the map 04b_floodlab.
To make this change, select a squad you wish to be changed into a flood character. For this example I'll use 'disposal_commander' 0-148 (the Spec Ops Commander). His character index is currently 10, changing this to 7 will make this squad spawn a single Flood Infection, you can edit the amount spawned through the normal and legendary difficulty count (Flood Infection spawns in a swarm). You will also want to change the primary weapon index to -1 in the squads box as well as team to player.

Here is a list of the character and weapon index values in a text document for this level: https://www.mediafire.com/#xa30vq54h3mou

--

"Also..what does the "Major Upgrade" mean? Does it mean that the NPC's get upgraded in rank if I select the "all" key?"

This dictates whether all or some of the characters within a squad will receive a permutation upgrade from their base or set permutation.
So for example in a squad of Minor Elites, if the value is set to 'many' some but not all Elites in the squad will be set to Major or above (this also depends on difficulty played).

You can set individual ranks in the starting locations tabs in the actor variant spot.

To find the name of actor variants simply go to .char and select the character you wish to find the variants for, ie Elite.
You'll see a variant tab and it'll have two minor_scl and minor_dog.

Here's a list of all elite variants (not all maps contain them however).
Minor: minor_scl and minor_dog
Major: major_scl and major_dog
Specops: spec_ops_scl and spec_ops_dog
Spec Ops Commander: soc
Ultra: ultra_scl and ultra_dog
Zealot: zealot_scl and zealot_dog
Honor Guard: honor_scl and honor_dog
Stealth: stealth_scl and stealth_dog
Stealth Major: stealth_major_scl and stealth_major_dog

--

"And is it possible to mod where marines can wield brute shots?"

It probably is, I'll have to look into it ~~

Attachments

Nov 26, 2017
Gamertag
aStalker23
Oh i see

Do you know which file I should look into for the list of the character and weapon index values for other levels? I kind of plan to slightly modify NPCs there too.

And I was unable to open the mediafire file for some reason because it just stays on the mediafire mainpage

Also, one more question...this one is about multiplayer tho , idk if it now falls into "modding/hacking" category but is it possible to edit the Fuel Rod Gun/bule sentinel beam (the one thats carried by golden sentinels) into multiplayer? Or if I do that I would get auto detected for hacking? Could it be possible to edit it into Coagulation mp map? It would of course be used only in a private game with my friend

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
To find the values for characters and weapons for each level: go to scnr and search "character palette" and "weapon palette".

I'm unsure how to edit/modify multiplayer, I'm sure you could make those weapons spawn on maps through a tool called Assembly (is in the tool pack that comes with Halo2V).
If you do however hack these in through Assembly/Tools in a public lobby that isn't designed for cheating aka doesn't have "Hacks/Mods/Cheats" in the server name/gamemode you would receive a ban.
As you're hacking something into the game that no one else can access.
(that's what I think anyway).

However if you mod in weapons through Assembly/Sapien, you could distribute the map with those changes to people who would want to play with those weapon settings.

Nov 26, 2017
Gamertag
aStalker23
To find the values for characters and weapons for each level: go to scnr and search "character palette" and "weapon palette".

I'm unsure how to edit/modify multiplayer, I'm sure you could make those weapons spawn on maps through a tool called Assembly (is in the tool pack that comes with Halo2V).
If you do however hack these in through Assembly/Tools in a public lobby that isn't designed for cheating aka doesn't have "Hacks/Mods/Cheats" in the server name/gamemode you would receive a ban.
As you're hacking something into the game that no one else can access.
(that's what I think anyway).

However if you mod in weapons through Assembly/Sapien, you could distribute the map with those changes to people who would want to play with those weapon settings.
Gotcha...yeah i did some research only I would be able to see the cannon :(

Technically it was only going to be me and my brother playing and not even a public lobby but umm I got more questions regarding campaign

How can I make AI "behave" like on legendary but on easy? How can I add the vehicles added on legendary but on easy? (example delta halo part 1 deltaapproach map) on easy there's 1 wraith but on legendary there's 2 of them, or 1 banshee on easy 4 on legendary, etc ,etc.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
For your question regarding the spawns of enemies depending on difficulty, in the scnr squads there's two values, one being Normal Count and Insane Count (something along those lines, away from my PC atm). Normal Count is the spawn numbers for the squad on Easy/Normal where Insane is Heroic/Legendary. Simply change the Normal count to match the Insane Count.

Nov 26, 2017
Gamertag
aStalker23
For your question regarding the spawns of enemies depending on difficulty, in the scnr squads there's two values, one being Normal Count and Insane Count (something along those lines, away from my PC atm). Normal Count is the spawn numbers for the squad on Easy/Normal where Insane is Heroic/Legendary. Simply change the Normal count to match the Insane Count.
Ic....and now what about the weapons on the map? Say the default ones like that lay there prespawned...how can I change them or completely remove some of them? (random example being a shitton of battle rifles/smgs on Cario Station)