My H2V Doesn't Work Anymore?

Oct 30, 2014
Gamertag
Morpheus414
This is weird--I used to play Halo2Vista pretty frequently, and stopped after a while. I tried to play it some time ago, and nothing happened. It used to work fine, and now, nothing. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it, but whenever I tried to do that,nothing happens. Can't play it, can't install it, nothing. (I'm using Windows 8, by the way) Does anyone have an idea what could've happened? I used to have a Campaign trainer, but after looking online, I found out that didn't have anything to do with it. Is there something I'm missing?

Any specifics you may need from me, just send a reply.

Kantanomo

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
Gamertag
H2Bot
Sounds like a weird issue you are having there, If I am reading correctly you are saying that you attempted to reinstall it and you can't get the installer to work?

One possible reason for this is that the uninstaller failed at a part and didn't delete files that the installer uses to verify the game has already been installed. To tell if this is the case follow these instructions.

• Open your Start Menu/Start Screen and type in %programdata% or C:\ProgramData\ and hit enter
  • Once there go into the "Microsoft Games" folder
  • Delete the "Halo 2" and "Halo 2 for Windows Vista" folders

then try to install it again, if that works you just confirmed a theory of mine.

Oct 30, 2014
Gamertag
Morpheus414
Kantanomo said:
Sounds like a weird issue you are having there, If I am reading correctly you are saying that you attempted to reinstall it and you can't get the installer to work?

One possible reason for this is that the uninstaller failed at a part and didn't delete files that the installer uses to verify the game has already been installed. To tell if this is the case follow these instructions.

• Open your Start Menu/Start Screen and type in %programdata% or C:\ProgramData\ and hit enter
  • Once there go into the "Microsoft Games" folder
  • Delete the "Halo 2" and "Halo 2 for Windows Vista" folders

then try to install it again, if that works you just confirmed a theory of mine.

Ok, I deleted the applicable folders. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

Let me tell you what happens with each option I press on the Autorun program:

Play Halo 2 Vista: Nothing.
Customized Game Install: The play/install, full install, and install then play options show up, but whichever one I select, nothing happens after that.
Dedicated Server: That one actually works. It took a while, but it installed correctly.
Map Editor: That also installed fine--no hangups.

What the heck is that all about?!?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
When you say you deleted those files, you did reinstall again yes? Okay so before launching it again open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager).

In the Task Manager window make sure you are on the tab that says Processes.

Now with the Task Manager open right-click on the Halo 2 executable and select Run As Administrator. Immediately after you do that you need to watch the Task Manager (under normal conditions Task Manager should stay on-top of other windows) and see if the exe you just launched shows up in the Task Manager, even if just for a few seconds. If it doesn't show up at all your H2v is not even launching.

Oct 30, 2014
Gamertag
Morpheus414
Kills Alone said:
When you say you deleted those files, you did reinstall again yes? Okay so before launching it again open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc, or right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager).

In the Task Manager window make sure you are on the tab that says Processes.

Now with the Task Manager open right-click on the Halo 2 executable and select Run As Administrator. Immediately after you do that you need to watch the Task Manager (under normal conditions Task Manager should stay on-top of other windows) and see if the exe you just launched shows up in the Task Manager, even if just for a few seconds. If it doesn't show up at all your H2v is not even launching.
Sorry for the late reply...Destiny.

Anyway, I decided to try this idea, and you're right--it showed absolutely no signs of launching. Is there anything I can do next?

Oct 30, 2014
Gamertag
Morpheus414
Kills Alone said:
I suggest a reinstall as admin.

Hmm--I got the UAC prompt, but everything else is the same--no install. Unless I'm running the wrong thing. It is the startup application, right?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
No, you need to run the installer from the disc.

I believe that startup will first try to activate the game then it will launch the game, there is an option to not show the initial window unless there has been an update, so maybe thats why mine skips it. Anyways you need to reinstall from the disc.

Oct 30, 2014
Gamertag
Morpheus414
Kills Alone said:
No, you need to run the installer from the disc.

I believe that startup will first try to activate the game then it will launch the game, there is an option to not show the initial window unless there has been an update, so maybe that's why mine skips it. Anyways you need to reinstall from the disc.
Well, running the installer from the disc does the same thing from the beginning...

So far, I've tried using the menu as per inserting the disc--running the installer as an admin, installing the "H2V-Licr", the "vcredist", and running 'Activate' as admin. The only thing I had gotten from any of that was the occasional UAC prompt. No visible effects happened after that.

It just makes no sense how something that worked very frequently at one point, just fails to exist a few days later.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
That is odd but I have run into a few strange issues with this game regarding installation on some versions of Windows and after updating some Live files by installing other Live games.

Go to Control Panel and make sure the game is completely uninstalled, restart (just in case), then reattempt install from disc.

Make sure its just this game having issues, can you install/run other games? Do you have any other Live games such as Resident Evil 5 or GTA IV? If so, how do they work?

supersniper

The lost soul
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
supersniper
Sometimes the game doesn't fully uninstaller, so I recommend downloading revo uninstaller. and when you "uninstall" the game. Hit advanced so it will scan your computer for any files or registry items missed.

Sep 1, 2014
Gamertag
joejoe
hey I have a similar issue. I had the game on my computer for ages and I went back to play it recently and it was all buggy and fucked up, so I uninstalled it and downloaded the iso again, but now when I run Startup.exe the launcher instantly stops working every single time. what do I do?
Edit: just realized it doesn't crash immediately it just crashed the moment I hover my mouse over any of the buttons, or if I use tab to select a button and hit enter.