Port forwarded but people still cannot join. Please help me!

Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy
So I provided a static ip address, port forwarded both 2000-2010 and 12000-12010 for TCP/UDP, allowed inbound and outbound rules for the same ports for TCP/UDP, and provided two ports for my router on Netgear of the same ports. Yet, nothing seems to work.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. I hate having to join an empty premade server so I can play with my friends.

Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy
You don't need to forward for 2 groups, only 1 bank unless you are trying to host two games independently from the same network.
The reason why I forwarded two ports was to be twice as sure that people are able to join the server. I now know it doesn't work that way, though bear with me I don't have much experience with hosting a server via port forwarding.

I'll disable the 12000-12010 to see if it'll work. I'll come back and update you

divine1gore

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
So I provided a static ip address, port forwarded both 2000-2010 and 12000-12010 for TCP/UDP, allowed inbound and outbound rules for the same ports for TCP/UDP, and provided two ports for my router on Netgear of the same ports. Yet, nothing seems to work.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. I hate having to join an empty premade server so I can play with my friends.
Did you check your baseport in your config file? And you added rules in your windows firewall on the hosting computer for the ports? Maybe its a NAT Type issue -- I recommend you enable UPNP instead of forwarding ports if you have it on your router, it works with the current DLL. Other than that Idk what else to say at this time. If your NAT type is strict Idk if you will be able to host tho

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
open windows explorer and paste this address:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Halo 2
in that folder you should find your config file halo2config1.ini, relevant section highlighted below:
1561830931199.png
The base-port determines which group of ports needs to be forwarded

Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy
Did you check your baseport in your config file? And you added rules in your windows firewall on the hosting computer for the ports? Maybe its a NAT Type issue -- I recommend you enable UPNP instead of forwarding ports if you have it on your router, it works with the current DLL. Other than that Idk what else to say at this time. If your NAT type is strict Idk if you will be able to host tho
My baseport is 2000. I indeed added rules to the firewall, both inbound and outbound

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
ok so you can see that you don't need the 12000-12010 forward then. Just the 2000-2010.
But in all honest you don't even need that many forwarded. UPNP only forwards like 2 ports.

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
You say static IP address, you mean an address reservation inside your network for the computer that will be hosting, correct?
(that is what you want tho -- so if you do forward you don't have to re-forward later if your computer's internal IP randomly changes)
with UPNP you don't even have to do the address reservation, & the port forward is automated when you need the ports opened.

Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
so you didn't do it then? you need to make sure that the IP that got forwarded to matches the ip of the hosting computer. Look in your router settings and just enable Universal Plug & Play (UPNP) if you can find it. Easy money
Tho if you are curious to check that the ip's are the same. open a command prompt and type ipconfig
and it will print out your networking information for your computer
the line that says 1561831631832.png
is what you are looking for. It will likely be something of the form "192.168.1.X" where X is greater than 1 and less than 255.
Then verify that its the same IP address in the forwarding table in the router

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy
so you didn't do it then? you need to make sure that the IP that got forwarded to matches the ip of the hosting computer. Look in your router settings and just enable Universal Plug & Play (UPNP) if you can find it. Easy money
Upnp is enabled on Netgear.

Jun 29, 2019
Gamertag
HelloPoppy
Tho if you are curious to check that the ip's are the same. open a command prompt and type ipconfig
and it will print out your networking information for your computer
the line that says View attachment 499
is what you are looking for. It will likely be something of the form "192.168.1.X" where X is greater than 1 and less than or equal to 255.
Then verify that its the same IP address in the forwarding table in the router
There's no 192.168.1.X for IPv4. Just 10.0.0.X, x being the number of the device (question mark?)

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
yea; 10.0.0.0 is the network address. 10.0.0.1 is the address of the router. 10.0.0.X where; 1 < X < 255 is the unique identifier for your device.
I assume you have comcast/Xfinity then? Thats what google seems to tell me. That ISP might also be blocking your traffic in some way.

Last edited: