PNill

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
Kills Alone said:
@UF ShadowTeddy,

Last I read TeamViewer had been compromised, meaning it is an open door to your PC. Use with extreme caution.

Via Reddit: TeamViewer has been hacked. They are denying everything and pointing fingers at the users.
TeamViewer is not compromised and I'm tired of people spreading this crap without being aware of what's going on,
What did get compromised was LinkedIn, Myspace, and VK.com which resulted in people using people's passwords they found from these places to hack teamviewer accounts (via password re-usual, using the same password in many places) from there they were able to gain access to the person's PC.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with TeamViewer being hacked, people who say so are just fucking ignorant.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
I'm looking out for my friends and their data, whats new? Computer security is something I've been involved with for awhile now, I don't know, maybe read what was linked where it sez the same and links to the TeamViewer Twitter post that sez the same before acting a fool?

On Sunday, TeamViewer spokesman Axel Schmidt acknowledged to Ars that the number of takeovers was "significant," but he continued to maintain that the compromises are the result of user passwords that were compromised through a cluster of recently exposed megabreaches involving more than 642 million passwords belonging to users of LinkedIn, MySpace, and other services.
Compromised is the word they choose to use to describe the issue.

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
Kills Alone said:
I'm looking out for my friends and their data, whats new? Computer security is something I've been involved with for awhile now, I don't know, maybe read what was linked where it sez the same and links to the TeamViewer Twitter post that sez the same before acting a fool?

On Sunday, TeamViewer spokesman Axel Schmidt acknowledged to Ars that the number of takeovers was "significant," but he continued to maintain that the compromises are the result of user passwords that were compromised through a cluster of recently exposed megabreaches involving more than 642 million passwords belonging to users of LinkedIn, MySpace, and other services.
Yes, the article states it yet 75% of people don't read between the lines... that indicates teamviewer itself is not vulnerable and supports what I've said.

Where you were suggesting that TeamViewer was vulnerable rather then telling people "Don't re-use your password, and change all of them if you've used any of them on MySpace, Linkedin, VK, etc".

Now.... I've also been following security for awhile and have been hired professionally for security auditing, consulting, and pentesting and currently hold a position as a Chief Research officer for a Security firm I don't take internet / cyber or information security lightly which is why fear mongering a software that is not vulnerable due to breaches which happened in a unrelated manner pisses me off.

You're hurting the reputation of that company by claiming that it's anything less then secure or that there's been a breach and they're denying it as it's truly not the case.

In-fact you've said exactly that "Last I read TeamViewer had been compromised, meaning it is an open door to your PC. Use with extreme caution." which is absolutely not the case and I was providing clarification.

I'm sure at this point I've been 'following' security for a bit longer then you and being someone who develops the tools, finds the bugs, and has played a role on both sides (reporting, protecting, defending / hacking, breaking, destroying) that I have a much better understanding of the on-goings as well.

Now if we're done here I'd like to not be off-topic on a thread which regards halo2 rather then discussing the mis-guided postings of people claiming a software is vulnerable when it's clearly not and there has been no official statement of such from any reputable security vendor or the company itself stating anything otherwise.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
I'm not sure what your problem is exactly. It seems to be ego related. You jumped the gun before reading the links and made assumptions and accusations, now you attempt to lord over me when you know nothing about my technical background, unlike you I am not here to measure my dick size.

Lots of people use TeamViewer for setting up servers, in fact, that is what was currently happening in this very topic, that is why I brought it up; so its not off topic.

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
Kills Alone said:
I'm not sure what your problem is exactly. It seems to be ego related. You jumped the gun before reading the links and made assumptions and accusations, now you attempt to lord over me when you know nothing about my technical background, unlike you I am not here to measure my dick size.

Lots of people use TeamViewer for setting up servers, in fact, that is what was currently happening in this very topic, that is why I brought it up; so its not off topic.
'ego related', 'jumped the gun before reading the links'... I don't need to read the links the words you wrote were that TeamViewer itself is vulnerable or "compromised"... this is the information you were passing to other people not the real information contained within the links you were providing to support your statement.

Then you copy and paste a quote from the links and bold the portion saying there's evidence of accounts being compromised as if it supports your statement any further.

I'm not here to measure dick-size either I'm annoyed that you mentioned at all that you've been following security for awhile as if it means you'd know better then someone else... and yes I do know about your technical background I know you lack the necessary skills to determine yourself whether or not a software is vulnerable in terms of actually reverse engineering said software and taking a look at it.. I know you lack the basic understanding of the C and Assembly language and I know you've never done a professional pentest in your life.

And people setting up teamviewer is no reason to bad mouth the software to deter people from it because as you attempted to state 'it's vulnerable' when that is not the case... it's pure ignorance... you yourself must not have read the links you posted with the way you worded what you wrote.

Considering you implied that the software or service was vulnerable to attack suggesting that simply running it could get you compromised.

Honestly,
You simply fail at reading because no where in what you've pasted from the article says TeamViewer itself was ever "compromised" as you've attempted to state you've learned from the article it instead says that user passwords were "compromised" from lack of security on LINKED IN, MySpace, and OTHER services....

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
No, TeamViewer is an open door to your computer, thats how its works, that is its purpose. This is obvious, its explained in the various articles talking about this such as the recent Ars threads. The June 5th article starts by stating as much. I never implied anything other then what I linked to. I used the same words the makers of the app in question used, I know because I copied and pasted them. At no point did I say the software was vulnerable yet you are trying to put words in my mouth.

because as you attempted to state 'it's vulnerable' when that is not the case
As I attempted to say?...Christ, so you decide what I'm thinking, or what I meant to say, or what the fuck are you on about? You sound like that traffic cop who tried to give me a ticket for what he thought I was gonna do; projection of thought-crime based on misguided assumptions. I'm just spreading the info for the betterment of my fellow humans, the info that came directly from the horse's mouth; where they talk about the passwords and are apologizing for being so rash in their initial response towards the public. What an enlightening reaction on their part, don't ya think?

Google it or read the thread like I did

You are capable of typing TeamViewer into Google, yes? Works pretty well for me.

Now please, stop wasting this thread space on whatever you think I could have said, or what you imagine I said. Its not really helpful since anyone can just follow the link and realize they need to change their passwords and/or temporarily uninstall TeamViewer while dealing with the passwords and various media they are attached to. Stating that you didn't need to follow the links at one point in this conversation, well, you lost the argument there. Context is important, so is perspective, you have neither if you didn't read the articles. If you feel the need to rant further in my direction, take it to the PMs.