[TUTORIAL] Project Cartographer on 2 PCs - NO VPN

Jun 23, 2015
This tutorial describes how to play Halo 2 - Project Cartographer on two PCs on the same network. Usually when two PCs on the same network try to play at the same time, one of them will get the following error:

As of right now, the only solution is for one PC to use a VPN which, depending on which VPN you use, could slow down internet speeds and be costly. However, in this guide, I will offer a free workaround to this problem.

PLEASE READ THE NOTES ON THE BOTTOM AFTER FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE

1. Download and install Connectify.me on ONE of the PCs: http://www.connectify.me/download/
    For our purposes we will only be using the FREE features of the software

During the installation, you will be asked to install the Connectify Network Service driver, click INSTALL

Once Connectify is installed you will need to reboot your computer

After rebooting, depending on your firewall settings, you may or may not see the message below. If you do, just click ALLOW ACCESS

Once you open Connectify, an AD will most likely pop up urging you to upgrade, just close it.

2. Open Connectify and go to Settings --> NAT Options --> Check Access Host Via Any IP

3. Make sure you're on WiFi Hotspot, then select a connection to share (Ethernet or Wireless), I recommend using Ethernet for best results. Additionally, make sure that Network Access is set to Routed.

4. Click START HOTSPOT and your hotspot should be broadcasting. Go to your SECOND PC, DISCONNECT from whatever network you're currently on and connect to the Connectify-me hotspot using the password. Once your second PC is connected to the hotspot you should see this:

Now both PCs should be able to play Halo 2 at the same time.

***NOTES***

-The speed should be about the same as your current home network. So if your download speed is 30MB, it should be the same on the hotspot.
-The only thing that would affect speed is DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO COMPUTERS
-If distance turns out to be a problem for you, e.g. you can't move, you can use this hotspot on a third computer like a laptop and place it closer to your second computer

tweek

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Nov 29, 2013
Interesting,

does this also allow you to connect to your own dedi, join your game and sync with other people in game?

Jun 23, 2015
Big TwEEkx said:
Interesting,

does this also allow you to connect to your own dedi, join your game and sync with other people in game?
Yes, you could install Connectify on your dedi if it's right next to your other PC or a third laptop and share the connection. I've done speedtests and the speed is exactly that same as what I would get if I was connected to my router.

Jul 11, 2016
My mate came over this weekend and naturally I wanted to show him how awesome Project Cartographer is. Unfortunately, I wanted to set things up on 2 Desktop PCs, none of which have a Wifi-Card. As a result, I couldn't do much using connectify, so I came up with an alternative (no 3rd party software needed):

What you need:
- 1 PC with atleast 2 Lan-Cards, let's call him A
- 1 PC with atleast 1 Lan-Card, let's call him B

Connect 1 Lan-Card of A to your Router as you normally would. Give that connection a static IP-Address:
Open cmd, type in ipconfig/all and remember these values:

Then go to your ethernet connection settings (those of the connection to your router) and change your ipv4 address to static using the values we found:

Connect a cable from A's 2nd Lan-Card to B's Lan-Card. Up next you have to enable Internet Connection Sharing on the ehternet connection that goes to your router:

And you are done. Both PCs should be connected to the internet now. If not try disabled the ethernet connection to B on A and enable it again. The 2nd PC did disconnect once, but restarting Halo 2 fixed that immediately. Other than that it worked out perfectly fine, and neither of us noted any difference to just playing on 1 pc. I might pick up a few more lan cards and try this with more pcs.

Jul 17, 2016
Gamertag
GpKapS
I want to play with 3 of my friends, who don't live in the same location.

Previously we used Tunngle with TeknoGODS helper to connect and play.
But now if I make my own game, other's aren't able to join. Also if I use tunngle and select network in-game setting adapter to tunngle, still I get the default servers and not the games being played on tunngle.

So, how do I make a game and have my friends connect to it over the internet ?

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
unitedfalconclan.roflforum.net
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
This is the wrong thread to post your question. Post it in the H2Online install guide next time.

As for your Question, Ensure that Project Cartographer is correctly setup on ALL PC's. So make sure that your friends are able to see Project Cartographer Servers (Servers are under the NETWORK tab, alternatively there is text at the top left detailing the current connection status to the Project Cartographer master server)

To host a game, you will need to port forward 1000 - 1006 UDP. Google it if you are not sure.