GFWL Support

Kantanomo

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
Gamertag
H2Bot
Yeah so we just called GFWL support twice to talk them about things, and they hung up on us twice... Go Microsoft.

Apr 1, 2013
Australia
Gamertag
Le Derp King
What did you want to talk to them about?

I was browsing Google yesterday to try and find a fix for why my GFWL randomly disconnects, even though my internet is connected by cable and never drops out. I found out the problem was my NAT was moderate and needed to be open. Anyway, on my travels numerous people said they tried contacting Microsoft support and they were either put on hold for 5 minutes until the line disconnected, told them that they needed to contact the supervisor, and when they asked about talking to one, they simply said they aren't available until Monday. From what I hear, Microsoft is pretty slack.

Kantanomo

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
Gamertag
H2Bot
We were calling to just talk to them about H2V and what we got was kind of what we expected, but we didn't think they would just go out and say it.

Basically they told us that this game was planned not to be supported from the start, and that they have completely dropped it(not a big surprise). Along with telling us that they did market modeling for selling Halo 4 with windows 8, but decided not to do it because it didn't look like a big enough profit would come out of it. When we got to the part about maybe having some avid programmer in the H2V Community fixing it up if he got the source code, they hung up.

Mar 15, 2013
You just gotta lol and love the fact that us few remains of the community, can do a much better job with code and mapping than Bungie or Microsoft ever could! Maybe we should all just storm Microsoft and forcibly take over the Games division?

Apr 1, 2013
Australia
Gamertag
Le Derp King
H2Bot said:
We were calling to just talk to them about H2V and what we got was kind of what we expected, but we didn't think they would just go out and say it.

Basically they told us that this game was planned not to be supported from the start, and that they have completely dropped it(not a big surprise). Along with telling us that they did market modeling for selling Halo 4 with windows 8, but decided not to do it because it didn't look like a big enough profit would come out of it. When we got to the part about maybe having some avid programmer in the H2V Community fixing it up if he got the source code, they hung up.
Wow, so they actually considered Halo 4 for a PC release? They would have profited for sure. We should keep trying, keep ringing them up and trying to get that source code. The things we could do are endless, considering the amount of success you guys have had with your maps with only limited resources.

If they want a good profit out of PC releases, they need to fix up GFWL. It's so horrible right now. If they want an even greater profit from Halo 4 on the PC, they could make it compatible with Win7 and Win8. Forcing people to upgrade to the next OS is bad marketing. I seriously wonder who runs marketing over at Micro$oft.

Mar 29, 2013
Gamertag
RAINMAN116
don't give up!

Plus we just need to emulate the server browser then we will be good to go.

Mar 6, 2013
Hell
murder-your-family.tumblr.com
Gamertag
xHayzul
Van Camp said:
H2Bot said:

Wow, so they actually considered Halo 4 for a PC release? They would have profited for sure. We should keep trying, keep ringing them up and trying to get that source code. The things we could do are endless, considering the amount of success you guys have had with your maps with only limited resources.

If they want a good profit out of PC releases, they need to fix up GFWL. It's so horrible right now. If they want an even greater profit from Halo 4 on the PC, they could make it compatible with Win7 and Win8. Forcing people to upgrade to the next OS is bad marketing. I seriously wonder who runs marketing over at Micro$oft.
They need to give up on GFWL entirely. They need to sell their souls to valve.

I mean look at Dark Souls. Started on GFWL and once they started losing sales sold to valve and sold 5 times as many games because of marketing and steam sales and that's just a single player/online co-op game. Hell when I play Dark Souls I forget it's supported by GFWL most of the time. Well I wouldn't say "supported". The game's supported now entirely by it's developers with the help of valve.

Mar 28, 2013
Gamertag
SiC I TITAN I
H2Bot said:

Do you know whats gonna happen after June??

Apr 1, 2013
Australia
Gamertag
Le Derp King
Hayzul said:
Van Camp said:
H2Bot said:

They need to give up on GFWL entirely. They need to sell their souls to valve.

I mean look at Dark Souls. Started on GFWL and once they started losing sales sold to valve and sold 5 times as many games because of marketing and steam sales and that's just a single player/online co-op game. Hell when I play Dark Souls I forget it's supported by GFWL most of the time. Well I wouldn't say "supported". The game's supported now entirely by it's developers with the help of valve.
I also play Dark Souls on PC. I'm having some trouble with it though. I bought the game from a store in real life. I then activated the serial key through steam, but my achievements won't show up in steam, and when I start to play Dark Souls I have to log in to GFWL. Thus, I cannot play since my GFWL drops out randomly and then Dark Souls throws me back into the main menu. Any way to play this entirely through steam?

Mar 6, 2013
Hell
murder-your-family.tumblr.com
Gamertag
xHayzul
Van Camp said:
I also play Dark Souls on PC. I'm having some trouble with it though. I bought the game from a store in real life. I then activated the serial key through steam, but my achievements won't show up in steam, and when I start to play Dark Souls I have to log in to GFWL. Thus, I cannot play since my GFWL drops out randomly and then Dark Souls throws me back into the main menu. Any way to play this entirely through steam?
Sadly, no.