Halo 3 PC?!

Apr 23, 2013
Gamertag
iCovertz
If this was another company besides 343 and Microsoft, I would be excited. But, alas, I am not.

343 refuses to listen to anyone. Microsoft is focused on the Xbox console, which I kinda understand, it's the end of this generation, porting a 6 year old game is not their top priority. Going back to 343, it took months just to get a decent update for Halo 4, which fixed the game mostly, but it took way too long, and it really meant nothing, because most of the community is gone. M$ doesn't like the PC as a gaming platform, and they exhibited that with H2v. A sub-par port of a legendary title (this game had so much potential). 1: Released in 2007, months before Halo 3 releases. That's like what Sega did with the Sega CD and the 32X (Which were bad to begin with). Released some hardware months before their new console. 2: Using GFWL. This speaks for itself.

So, even if they do release Halo 3 PC (which would not be a hit, it still runs on the Xbox LIVE, with a low population, and it will have an even lower population on the PC) it will be plagued with GFWL, and might even be Win8 exclusive to boost Win8 sales or something.

I don't understand why they don't just use Halo Custom Edtion as an example of a good PC port. No DRM, no GFWL, no pay to play, full map editor, a true faithful port of Halo CE. Halo 3 PC will fail, and it probably won't release, either.

Mar 15, 2013
iCovertz said:
If this was another company besides 343 and Microsoft, I would be excited. But, alas, I am not.

343 refuses to listen to anyone. Microsoft is focused on the Xbox console, which I kinda understand, it's the end of this generation, porting a 6 year old game is not their top priority. Going back to 343, it took months just to get a decent update for Halo 4, which fixed the game mostly, but it took way too long, and it really meant nothing, because most of the community is gone. M$ doesn't like the PC as a gaming platform, and they exhibited that with H2v. A sub-par port of a legendary title (this game had so much potential). 1: Released in 2007, months before Halo 3 releases. That's like what Sega did with the Sega CD and the 32X (Which were bad to begin with). Released some hardware months before their new console. 2: Using GFWL. This speaks for itself.

So, even if they do release Halo 3 PC (which would not be a hit, it still runs on the Xbox LIVE, with a low population, and it will have an even lower population on the PC) it will be plagued with GFWL, and might even be Win8 exclusive to boost Win8 sales or something.

I don't understand why they don't just use Halo Custom Edtion as an example of a good PC port. No DRM, no GFWL, no pay to play, full map editor, a true faithful port of Halo CE. Halo 3 PC will fail, and it probably won't release, either.
Thanks for that Debbie Downer. It isn't the fault of M$ that we got a shit port so to speak. The two main companied behind the port, Hired Gun and PI Studios are to blame. They had everything lined up and ready go via their video of the map editor, long before it was released. When the two companies were going thru financial trouble, it plagued the port process. Microsoft was obviously unwilling to support them further, but in the end, they made a business decision.

As for GFWL, it isn't this service that plagues the Halo 2 Vista port or causes issues....it's the port itself. 99% of all PC online MM games, use some kind of service to connect to servers, in the same way Steam does. I hate to break it to you, but CE is not a great example of a port either. gearbox made several mistakes and DID NOT give the community everything they needed. Go ahead and ask them, they will tell you that key components or other various items are severely lacking in the HEK. DRM? Do we not remember the dreaded CD-Key that was needed and having to have the disk present in the system before patch 1.(something)?

Yes a PC port for anything Halo at this point in time is likely to receive a lot of criticism and skepticism, but throwing fits at the company or around the community in general is not going to warrant a warm and fuzzy response from the franchise holders. I'd be grateful to get anything Halo related on the PC as of now. Looking back on the past 2 titles, we have shown M$ that the community itself can take a broken 1/2 ass game and do marvelous things with it. If we had told you back in 2008, that the H2MT would have the things we have now available for the game, you all would have trolled us and called us fucking crazy! Keep the faith a little man, I hear where you are coming from. but faith and each other is all we have right now.

Apr 23, 2013
Gamertag
iCovertz
Twinreaper said:
iCovertz said:

Thanks for that Debbie Downer. It isn't the fault of M$ that we got a shit port so to speak. The two main companied behind the port, Hired Gun and PI Studios are to blame. They had everything lined up and ready go via their video of the map editor, long before it was released. When the two companies were going thru financial trouble, it plagued the port process. Microsoft was obviously unwilling to support them further, but in the end, they made a business decision.

As for GFWL, it isn't this service that plagues the Halo 2 Vista port or causes issues....it's the port itself. 99% of all PC online MM games, use some kind of service to connect to servers, in the same way Steam does. I hate to break it to you, but CE is not a great example of a port either. gearbox made several mistakes and DID NOT give the community everything they needed. Go ahead and ask them, they will tell you that key components or other various items are severely lacking in the HEK. DRM? Do we not remember the dreaded CD-Key that was needed and having to have the disk present in the system before patch 1.(something)?

Yes a PC port for anything Halo at this point in time is likely to receive a lot of criticism and skepticism, but throwing fits at the company or around the community in general is not going to warrant a warm and fuzzy response from the franchise holders. I'd be grateful to get anything Halo related on the PC as of now. Looking back on the past 2 titles, we have shown M$ that the community itself can take a broken 1/2 ass game and do marvelous things with it. If we had told you back in 2008, that the H2MT would have the things we have now available for the game, you all would have trolled us and called us fucking crazy! Keep the faith a little man, I hear where you are coming from. but faith and each other is all we have right now.
I'm not gonna argue with that, but you can't argue against 343 not paying much attention. Yes, I understand Hired Gun and Pi Studios messed up, but after that, H2v wasn't even acknowledged by M$. As for Halo Custom Edition, yeah it's not perfect, but it's better than Halo 2 vista by alot. I do have faith in Halo 2, but right now things are looking quite badly. Until 343 actually releases this on Steam, Halo 2 cannot fully make a comeback. Either that, or release it online. It's impossible to get this in stores now (Unless it's a flea market) and actually getting the disc shipped to you is your only option. M$ has neglected us, and while I see why they want to abandon a bad port, but they are missing the community (small, but still a community) that is behind all of the magic H2v has become in these past years.