Help Quantifying AI Population Limits

Mar 20, 2016
I've been doing a lot of testing to try and define exact limitations about AI "populations" in custom content, since it seems H2V has a running theme of unlisted limitations in just about every aspect of H2EK. Below is just what I've found so far, so if any of you guys (H2MT especially) have any information or research about this yourself, feel free to correct me or share your input:

The MP engine has an AI limit, in most capacities, of 11 (This is such a pervasive and obnoxious limitation I've run into, I've dubbed it "The Rule of 11"). Any more AI and the game crashes.
The MP engine also has a limited number of AI respawns it will tolerate before crashing (its a high number, but idk what it is yet).
The limit of a particular AI squad in SP appears to be 7? (might be a testing error.)
A MP map running the SP engine that is reloaded will ignore the squad limit of 7, but will produce 10 AI before producing "empty" bipeds so it doesn't violate The Rule of 11. I haven't run a lot of variations of it, but it produces a lot of weird results.

Anyone who can confirm, correct, or otherwise add on to this information, please do. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
It depends, but I definitely push higher numbers then that, on both default campaign, & custom campaign, and co-op. The number was closer to 25-30. There are many virtual console restraints that do not belong in this game. The number does seem to vary, very likely it is some memory limit and the type of AI being taken into account.

Mar 20, 2016
Kills Alone said:
It depends, but I definitely push higher numbers then that, on both default campaign, & custom campaign, and co-op. The number was closer to 25-30. There are many virtual console restraints that do not belong in this game. The number does seem to vary, very likely it is some memory limit and the type of AI being taken into account.
Did some more testing, and it turns out it matters how the game is initially loaded. SP/MP maps started in the SP engine are fine, but maps loaded in the MP engine have the 11 limit. I'll have to work out a quick spreadsheet some time to really nail everything down. The variables should just be:

Initial Engine (SP/MP)
Map Type (SP/MP)
Engine Swap? (Y/N)

which would mean 8 variations for testing, at least just for testing instances of the AI cap.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Good to know, always appreciated when people archive findings like this.

God damn, the Reach engine, that would be so epic on PC, much higher enemy numbers and remember the last level, they just keep coming. We could do so much with a Firefight that never ended. There is a respawn on death option in the tags (for AI) but it never seemed to work for me, the only thing I could come up with was multiple scenarios or multiple maps in a series.

Mar 20, 2016
Kills Alone said:
Good to know, always appreciated when people archive findings like this.

God damn, the Reach engine, that would be so epic on PC, much higher enemy numbers and remember the last level, they just keep coming. We could do so much with a Firefight that never ended. There is a respawn on death option in the tags (for AI) but it never seemed to work for me, the only thing I could come up with was multiple scenarios or multiple maps in a series.
Non-scripted respawns barely work in CE, so it doesn't surprise me that its completely deprecated in future versions of blam!. You'll probably need scripts to facilitate any non-cheesy respawning. (I've personally used the sentinel spawners in Sacred Icon many times in cases where I need infinite respawning.)

Yeah, so here's just a dump of my findings:

Initial Engine/Map Type/Engine Swap+Reload---MAX Limit/Squad Limit (INF means greater than 13)

SP/SP/Y
-0/-
-Loads multiplayer assets only, loads Slayer. Further engine swaps keeps

multiplayer assets alongside loading SP AI+assets.

SP/SP/N
-INF/7
-Loads AI/Single player assets

SP/MP/Y
--/-
-Can't be manually reloaded. MP deaths result in instant respawn since a

gametype is never force loaded. Once engine swap happens repeatedly, rule

of 11 takes effect and forces empty bipeds. H2 must be force closed.

SP/MP/N
-INF?/INF
-Loaded 12 characters in a squad of 14 characters? Maybe INF if more

starting locales/squads were added? H2 must be force closed.

MP/SP/Y
-???/7
-To obtain this engine state, the level must be loaded by player death, NOT

by a level restart. Loads MP/SP assets. Its not yet known whether this

engine state follows the rule of 11 or not since the squad limit is in

place.

MP/SP/N
-0/-
-Loads multiplayer assets. Some customization assets don't load.

MP/MP/Y
-11/INF
-Loads multiplayer assets alongside AI. Follows rule of 11.

MP/MP/N
-0/-
-Multiplayer assets only.

Yep, so over these tests I've realized there's probably a few more variables than I realized, especially when force spawning AI. Once I'm in the mood, I'm going to have to use the editor to make some maps specifically designed to test certain limits.