How to swap skins.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Depends on the map, I have come up with a new method for calling ODST inside of a map that does not have the ODST AI/Char. The mod reverses the Old Mombasa campaign so that you play as the Covenant. You will face:
-Spartans
-ODST Johnson
-ODST, some with helmets some without
-Marines, three face types

To accomplish this I replaced the Grunt Ultra character with a Spartan, then added them to the scenario's character palette like so:
0 Elite
1 Marine - Actor Variant: default_nrl, default_cky, sarge_grf
2 Grunt
3 Jackal
4 Bugger
5 Hunter
6 Marine_Johnson (ODST)
7 Elite Ultra
8 Jackal Sniper
9 Marine SGT (ODST)
10 Elite Zealot
11 Elite Stealth
12 Elite Major
13 Grunt Heavy
14 Marine (Can this be replaced?) - Grunt Ultra - Spartan

The Spartans will work as the highest level enemy down to the Marine as a Grunt/low level Elite replacement.

I modified the Dress version (the white uniforms normally seen in cutscenes) of the Marines render model. I set then so they redirect to the ODST sections. The ODST helmet is a head permutation so I have to replace that as well.

To correct the game I type in default_nrl, default_cky, or sarge_grf as the character variant, but only for the Marines.

I still need to swap the last 65 (or so) squads, then I will make upload a small SPPF that anyone can apply to the default 03a_oldmombasa.map. From there you can study my changes at your leisure, sometimes it helps to open the original unmodified map in Assembly, then open another instance of Assembly and open the modified map. This way you can compare and see exactly what values I modified.

---

Now if its a map that already has ODST then just follow my custom campaign guide and find the number for the ODST (scnr->character palette) then swap that with a character under Squads (also in scnr).

Apr 20, 2016
Gamertag
redjackit
Well in Delta Approach i wanted to see if i can play as the odst. Do i just swap the char or something?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Well, I'd suggest exploring the tags first. Try to see what you can recognize, like a weap or char tag. Take a look around the tags and try to get comfortable.

Assembly has a search feature once you open the map, you can type char and it will only show characters, type a specific name of a weapon and you will only see the tags that are related or named after that weapon, such as battle_rifle.

Open Halo 2 and load a map, then open Assembly (run as Admin). Load the same map in Assembly. Now open a tag, lets open a weapon, so a map with the MC and the BR would be best.

After opening both locate the weap tag for the BR. So type battle_rifle in the search field in Assembly, then open the weap section just below, you will only see the BR, select it. Once it opens make sure you are in the meta editor view (bottom left-ish). Now you can see what is inside of the BR tag. Scroll to the bottom of the tag, then up just a bit to the Projectile section. You will see battle_rifle_bullet.proj, click the drop down arrow next to it and change it to sniper_bullet or rocket, now don't hit save, hit poke. Poke is temporary, it only affects the memory, it will not edit the file. Using this technique you can test your changes in Real-Time. If you followed this you have a BR that shoots different bullets.

If you can follow this you are ready for the next step.

Apr 20, 2016
Gamertag
redjackit
Kills Alone said:
Well, I'd suggest exploring the tags first. Try to see what you can recognize, like a weap or char tag. Take a look around the tags and try to get comfortable.

Assembly has a search feature once you open the map, you can type char and it will only show characters, type a specific name of a weapon and you will only see the tags that are related or named after that weapon, such as battle_rifle.

Open Halo 2 and load a map, then open Assembly (run as Admin). Load the same map in Assembly. Now open a tag, lets open a weapon, so a map with the MC and the BR would be best.

After opening both locate the weap tag for the BR. So type battle_rifle in the search field in Assembly, then open the weap section just below, you will only see the BR, select it. Once it opens make sure you are in the meta editor view (bottom left-ish). Now you can see what is inside of the BR tag. Scroll to the bottom of the tag, then up just a bit to the Projectile section. You will see battle_rifle_bullet.proj, click the drop down arrow next to it and change it to sniper_bullet or rocket, now don't hit save, hit poke. Poke is temporary, it only affects the memory, it will not edit the file. Using this technique you can test your changes in Real-Time. If you followed this you have a BR that shoots different bullets.

If you can follow this you are ready for the next step.

I already know that. I just don't understand your process in changing skins.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Okay, now open the scnr tag, scroll until you locate the Character Palette section. This is a list of the available characters for this scenario. Click the drop down arrow and see what number Marine ODST is set to, take that number and go to the Squads section.

The squads are mostly in chronological order, so go to the first Marine squad, then scroll down and see what character number it is set to, if its not the same as the ODST, then make it so, save, confirm, and test.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Here's a quick guide on how to change your player (Master Chief) into an ODST in Delta Approach (with pictures)
Please backup your maps before modding.
Open Assembly in Administrator (make sure Assembly is up to date),
Go to file - open file - and locate your Halo 2 Vista Maps folder - select 05a_deltaapproach,
Press tags,
Using the search bar search "matg", https://gyazo.com/6f9bb8daa653f4b75366674814fb368d
Double click globals, you should get this screen, https://gyazo.com/542ce27125a2e91e8765fe479fdb7022
Now using the search function in global, search "Player Representation", https://gyazo.com/214faa4b51b4104be75615d6a264d749
Where it says Third Person Model, change it to objects\characters\marine\marine,
Now where it says Third Person Unit Variant, type in odst_cky, you should get a suggestion,
https://gyazo.com/93ecdeb57bb8e0c64e6e3a6767c0f045, hit save in globals, then hit save (it's next to poke down the bottom of globals)
Now save your map and launch Halo 2 and see your changes.

*oh crap, didn't know there was a second page, welp*

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
I'll continue using 05a_deltaapproach as an example.
To change the AI character skin, such as an ODST to an Elite, got to the 'scnr' tag,
Open it up and using the search menu inside of 'scnr' type 'Squads',
Your screen should look like this - https://gyazo.com/40188e3344db53b2fe5757d8805543f9 -
Now see where character index is? It should say '6' this represents Marine ODST. Changing this character index will change the ODST into whatever you want, for the sake of giving an example, changing it to '1' will make it an Elite. Make sure you change the Team to Player to avoid a nasty TK surprise.
Scroll down to 'Starting Locations' which appears right below the 'Squads' drop box.
- https://gyazo.com/4b698198f7dd188df04b0ebdfcafa89d -
Here is where you can change the actor variant of the Elite, the actor variant has to be in the maps file, so to see your available variants go to the 'char' tag and select any character to see their variant code, for example an Elite Major 'actor variant' code is 'Major_scl' - https://gyazo.com/3cfdda716374cc69e4e4d8d79bc1579c - You will also want to change the Character Index in 'Starting Positions' to the same one as you have in 'Squads'
You may also want to change the starting weapons and etc, I've inboxed you a link to all the 'Default Variables'.
You'll see at the top of 'Starting Locations' there'll be a little drop down tab saying 0 - 2 (3), you'll need to go through all these dropboxes and change the Character Index's/Starting Weapons/Actor Variants. You can mix and match, this allows for diverse squads.

HIT SAVE.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please keep in mind that this only changes the ODST setting in this one squad, so you'll have to scroll through and find each of the ODST starting locations and change them to your liking!