Update fails with "data area too small" error

Apr 15, 2024
Gamertag
SamBushman
Good evening,
I just installed Halo 2 Vista on my Windows Vista computer tonight and wanted to check out Project Cartographer. I updated my retail copy of the game, then installed Project Cartographer from the 2.0 installer. After installing I checked for updates in-game and saw there were a number of files available. The updater downloaded them, then enabled the UI button to install the updates. When I clicked it, a Windows error prompt popped up saying:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\Halo2\Update\h2pc-update.exe
The data area passed to a system call is too small.

Not sure what to do here. Any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Apr 15, 2024
Gamertag
SamBushman
Good evening,
I just installed Halo 2 Vista on my Windows Vista computer tonight and wanted to check out Project Cartographer. I updated my retail copy of the game, then installed Project Cartographer from the 2.0 installer. After installing I checked for updates in-game and saw there were a number of files available. The updater downloaded them, then enabled the UI button to install the updates. When I clicked it, a Windows error prompt popped up saying:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\Halo2\Update\h2pc-update.exe
The data area passed to a system call is too small.

Not sure what to do here. Any advice?

Thanks for your time.
So I sorted it out (kinda). I hopped onto the discord and saw one of the bots libked the manual update:
http://www.h2maps.net/Cartographer/Installer/manual_update/cartographer_manual_update.zip

I applied that and it only left the xlive.dll file requiring an update via the in-game updater. That applied successfully and now I'm in!