Will project cartographer run on linux with wine?

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
Heyo, been a while. Been thinking about getting back into the game, but I've switched off of windows due to my rampant paranoia. I'm running debian, and was wondering if anyone has had any success getting the game to run with wine. I must have been gone for about a year, so I'm sure all the .exe's I've saved are outdated anyway. Thanks in advance.

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
Thanks teddy, I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance. Do you think that mouse thingy .exe will work with it?

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
I haven't had luck getting the game to install, or getting it to run from the program folder I copied over from my old windows machine.

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
I did, but I've spent too long on this today. Tried running it in a 32 bit wine prefix, got better results but no luck still. I'll try to follow that specific link more closely tomorrow, since he mention project cartographer in it. Wish me luck!

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
Okay, I've got the game running, but I ran it from halo2.exe and not the cartographer launcher. I don't have it running right now, and I think it has something to do with .net 4.6.1, and I'm not exactly sure how to install that, but that's next.

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
If anyone has any other ideas, here's what I get when I try to run H2Launcher.exe from a 32 bit wine prefix:

Code:
fixme:wer:WerSetFlags (2) stub!
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.
wine: Call from 0x7b43b97c to unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function mscoree.dll.CorIsLatestSvc called at address 0x7b43b97c (thread 001b), starting debugger...
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow The explorer process failed to start.
Unknown heap type: #GUlD

Unknown heap type: #Blop

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. ---> System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in btFy13pd5uf4WC4h18.kgbOBx7BanbFa22Hp9:CcHZl53jD (): IL_00a4: add       

at <Module>..cctor () <0x24710e0 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. ---> System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in btFy13pd5uf4WC4h18.kgbOBx7BanbFa22Hp9:CcHZl53jD (): IL_00a4: add       

at <Module>..cctor () <0x24710e0 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
Yeah, it runs on a 32 bit wine prefix. Disregard the code I posted above, I went ahead and scrapped that prefix and started a new one, did most of what I did before but with less mess, and now halo2.exe launches fine, but H2Launcher.exe only gives a dialogue box titled "H2Launcher.exe - .NET Framework Initialization" with the text: "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application." I think I've gotten .net 4.6.1 installed via a hack I found on WineHQ's appdb, but it's still saying that it can't find a runtime. Any thoughts?

May 1, 2017
I've also looked into running this on WINE on my Mac. Long story short I gave up due to to the lack of real support (the tester for halo 2 abandoned the project).

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
I'm at the point where I'm giving up. Still can't get cartographer to run, and after testing the campaign to see if the game is even playable, I found that it is not. There's a bunch of visual glitches, z fighting, artifacting, etc. The mouse look is totally fucked, it treats an arbitrary center placement of the mouse as like the center point of a joystick, and any movement away from that point is interpreted as movement in that direction.

Anyway, just wanted to vent some of my frustrations. Thanks for helping teddy, at least I got some other older games running in the process!

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
unitedfalconclan.roflforum.net
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
Glad i could help with the older games but yeah as to be expected:
Halo 2 for windows vista (not cartographer) wouldn't work very well with linux for reasons such as graphical artifacts.

Project Cartographer works well in WINE/Linux, but ultimately to get the best optimal experience windows is the best platform to play Halo 2 on (not the best thing to hear if Linux is your primary OS.)
If you can, Dual Boot!