XLLN - XLiveLessNess

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
Games for Windows LiveLessNess. A complete Games For Windows - LIVE (GFWL) rewrite.

Long story short, this program/library enables LAN and ONLINE play for Halo 2. Note that currently the LIVE and NETWORK menus both work over LAN and work over the internet depending on what you have put in the Broadcast Address. Peer to Peer map downloading works too on LIVE. At the main menu click on GUIDE to open the XLLN window where you can use it to change your randomly generated name (be sure to logout then back in again with that name for it to apply).

Install Instructions

Put all files into the install directory of Halo 2.
So for:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\halo2.exe
The files need to exist at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\xlive.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\XLiveLessNess\modules\xlln-halo-2.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2\XLiveLessNess\modules\xlln-halo-2-cartographer.dll

Project Cartographer currently is not compatible with this as it is a different rewrite of xlive.dll (you will need to overwrite xlive.dll). So you will NOT (yet) be able to play Zombies / GunGame / Grave Robber / War Economy / H2X over LAN.

Download
https://xlln.glitchyscripts.com/

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2014
Gamertag
yolarrydabomb
Very nice. Works amazing! I take it this will be supported in the future (or hotfix?) of Project Cartographer & also abandon GFWL games some day?

Last edited:

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
Very nice. Works amazing! I take it this will be supported in the future (or hotfix?) of Project Cartographer & also abandon GFWL games some day?
Yep, I intend to get this working for other GFWL Titles (games) if it isn't already working (Most likely would just be missing implementation errors for xlive ordinals / function exports). And if things work out like I hope then the 0.6 update of Cartographer will be using this.

Jan 17, 2019
Gamertag
Ralf573
you think it's a problem to translate the code to work with gears of war 1? ( for revive dat online too) at least on LAN

Mar 22, 2013
www.twitch.tv
Gamertag
XHN SCRAPY
Lol, I have section 8, shadowrun, starwars clone wars (idk if it was coop or not.) Fallout 3 (single player...so pointless lol live still connects.) Kayne and lunch, fuel, gta4, stormrise, gow1 if I can find it again lol

Shadowrun was still seeing games though. But not enough players to apparently start a match. Section 8, probably no one plays, so yeah ...lol

Live still works but no players. So either A no one plays, B the other games are down as well. Shadowrun sees players so who knows..

Oct 26, 2018
I wonder if you can run multiple instances and join each others games with this...or should I wait until this is released in Cartographer? (If it ever will be...)

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
I wonder if you can run multiple instances and join each others games with this...or should I wait until this is released in Cartographer? (If it ever will be...)
Yes. That was an important feature to consider when I wrote this. You will need the cartographer.dll in the modules folder as that kills off the game's code which tries to prevent multiple instances being started. That module works for any version of halo 2 pc too.

Feb 5, 2019
Yes. That was an important feature to consider when I wrote this. You will need the cartographer.dll in the modules folder as that kills off the game's code which tries to prevent multiple instances being started. That module works for any version of halo 2 pc too.
It does kill off the code that prevent multiple instances, but they all run as the same ximput now. I am able to run split screen online, but not with the local patch here. can this be resolved.

Also, big thanks to all the work put into the LAN patch. Me and my friends really enjoy it.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
It does kill off the code that prevent multiple instances, but they all run as the same ximput now. I am able to run split screen online, but not with the local patch here. can this be resolved.

Also, big thanks to all the work put into the LAN patch. Me and my friends really enjoy it.
View attachment 380
Yes, later in the future that will be implemented. I'm glad you're getting some use out of it tho!

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
Finally got around to trying this; nice work Glitchy! Tho I have yet to test it with 2 separate computers over LAN, just 2 instances connecting on the same computer lol : P

Apr 2, 2019
Gamertag
h123
Apr 2, 2019
I'm trying to get Halo 2 LAN working in my after school eSports club. With Glitchy's script, I'm able to launch into the Network menu, but not able to see the lobby for any other client on the LAN. When I use "Guide" to attempt to logout of the XBL servers (or even reassign a name), the game crashes when I tab back in. Any tips?

If it means anything, all of the machines are running Halo CE and can direct IP into each other's games, so the network is fine on that end. Is there any port forwarding I need to manually manage or some other network issue I'm not aware of?

May 7, 2019
Sorry I am new here. Does this project work for non-HALO 2 games right now? I have some games like FlatOut UC that uses XLive multiplayer on my Steam account but haven't downloaded it yet. And do I also need the carthographer.dll for non-HALO 2 games?

Mar 10, 2019
Gamertag
talos91
Will this work for other games like Resident Evil operation Raccoon City? I am planning on doing a splitscreen mod too of that game.